If you look at your collaborative solutions in your organization, you will see that you do not use just one tool, you use multiple: Domino for Email, BES for Email to your mobile device, Sametime for shared meetings or you may used a combination of Domino, Traveler, and Sametime, you may even have Exchange, BES, Sametime . Organizations today have a portfolio approach to their IT collaborative tools. No one tool meets all requirements, so there may be many components to an organizations complete collaborative arsenal.
Tags: BlackBerry Enterprise server, Exchange 2010, Collaboration, BES, Service Delivery, Lotus Domino Monitoring, BES high availability cluster, Domino cluster, lotus domino, Messaging Environment Monitoring, Administration, Service Reporting
With 9.3 about to go on public release, and knowing that over the next few weeks we shall be releasing data, presentations , Blog posts and webinars that will go into detail on the new features in 9.3, I thought it would be a good time to take a moment to pass commentary on the ethos behind the release, the contributions and the decision criteria on what was included.
This is the background of how 9.3 came to be …..
GSX’s has always been and will always be driven by our customer requirements , we strive to ensure that we align our products with our customers needs In the past year we have made a lot of effort to listen to our customers, review their requirements, discuss with them the direction that we are taking and trying to ensure that our direction is aligned with their business requirements. Some major points that became clear were
Flexibility in reporting and ensuring that data is filtered for its targeted audience is very important
- So we introduced Tagging and Organizational structures, you can now configure Analyzer profiles linked to an account log in, i.e. The structure of Analyzer and data presented to an individual is now dependant on the individuals login
Global Environments are very complex and it can all get very confusing
- So we introduced the Environmental Health Tab, where you easily compare values across all servers in your environment. Compare how they perform against the overall average and expected SLA, easily identify the servers that are way below average / SLA and need to be addressed as a priority.
- At a glance you can now see all of your maintenance schedules
- At a glance you can see what alerts are configured where
Reporting can be a pain in the neck
- We have introduced suggested default report templates based on common SLA’s and KPI’s .
- We continued to improve on automated reports, and you can now print to PDF on the fly, using existing profiles if you wish
Sometimes you need to be alerted even when its outside of your control
- So we introduced a carrier alert for BES, letting you know that you have delivery issues , but its on your carriers side
Redundancy and business continuity are critically important
- So we introduced new Domino Statistics, Detailed cluster statistics that you can alert and trend on.
- BES 5 Cluster support and reporting
You need help managing your critical applications
- So we introduced a load of new alerts and reports to help you manage your critical applications and mail files
Sometimes, the information was there but we had it soo well hidden that people did not know it existed
- So we consolidated all of the BES Statistical ( server and user ) information in one place
Our Documentation could do with improvement : GSX is a very very detailed product and it was difficult to learn how to use it. So we listened , it is an ongoing process, but currently :
- We now offer training courses on how to use the product.
- We have aligned with Bluewave and offer technical consultancy assisting you in making infrastructure decisions based on the data collected
- We have started a series of white papers based on how configure and suggested best practices on particular aspects of monitor
- We have focused on improving our help about to ensure that its much easier to understand and follow (this is a long term Project)
And of course we have been working very closely with our business partners and ensuring that in 9.3 BES 5 is supported, BES Express, Exchange 2010, Sametime 8.5 community server etc etc ..
We are very excited to be about to launch 9.3, its a release that has been developed in partnership with our customers, and for their suggestions , feedback , contributions , reviews and betas we cannot thank them enough. Its been a hectic year but GSX is very excited to be presenting 9.3. We look forward to your feedback and look forward to working with you on future releases.
First of all … to correct my European associates… European football is “soccer” …. ”football” is American Football. It is full of blood, pain and tragedy as only a guy from Buffalo can understand fully. Emphasis on tragedy intended !
The excellent annual conference focusing on Domino administration hosted by The View in Boston is about to begin. It is generally considered a very technical conference with a lot of hands on and practical sessions. GSX will be there again as a sponsor. Please stop by and see us in the Solutions Showcase to see the latest version of GSX Monitor in action. Version 9.3 has powerful new functionality to help the Domino Administrator manage the service level more effectively. Some highlights in 9.3 support mobile users too, with support of BES Express and BES in a high availability cluster. And of course the deep dive into Domino that you have all come to expect from GSX. (Clusters, servers, tasks, databases, replication, mail probes and powerful reporting.)
Stop by and we can finally meet face 2 face.